About this manual
This manual and the functions described within it are valid for devices of the following type:
- Andersen A2*
This manual is designed exclusively for trained personnel. These are people who – as a result of their training, skills, experience and knowledge of the relevant standards – can assess the work assigned to them and identify possible dangers.
The illustrations and explanations contained in this manual refer to a typical version of the device. Your device version may differ from this.
Please refer to the operating manual for information and instructions for operating the device.
Information for trained personnel for the installation of the device
Danger of damage
- Ensure that the A2* is not damaged by incorrect handling (housing cover, internal parts, etc.)
- On outdoor installations, do not open the termination panel cover when it is raining
- Dangers which may break the plastic housing
- Do not use countersunk screws to secure the device.
- Do not tighten the securing screws with force.
- The installation area must be completely flat (max. 1 mm difference between the support and securing points).
- Do not bend the housing.
Information for trained personnel who may open the device
Danger of damage
- Electronic components may be destroyed if touched.
- Before handling modules, perform an electrical discharge process by touching a metallic earthed object.
Failure to follow the safety information may result in device damage, injury or death. The device manufacturer cannot accept any liability for claims resulting from this.
The Andersen A2* is a charging station for indoor and outdoor use, through which electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles can be charged. No other devices, such as electric tools, may be connected to it.
1 Check the parts supplied
- Check the supplied carton(s), see Fig F1.1.If there is any significant visible damage to the main carton (A), then photograph the damage and sign for the carton as damaged before opening. Report the damage to the sender.
- Place the main carton (A) on a stable firm surface the correct way up and open the top. Take care not to cut the items inside the carton
- Remove the smaller carton (B) from the top of the main carton, open and check that the correct decorative front panel (1-0) is present and undamaged. NOTE: There are two available types of panel, metal (1-1) or wood (1-2), only one panel is supplied per charger. Place the decorative front panel back in its carton for later use.
- Remove the back panel (2-0), check it is undamaged and place to the side for later use.
- Remove the control unit (3-0), check that it is the correct model, colours and is undamaged – take care and do not remove any of the protective films – before replacing it back in the main carton for later use.
- Remove the accessory pack (4-0) and check it contains:
- (4-1) – 4 ***off*** decorative front panel retention screws
- (4-2) – 4 off back panel spacer washers
- (4-3) – 2 off charger retention tamper-proof screws
- Place to one side for later use.
2 Overview of the Andersen A2*
- See Fig F2.1.
- The parts in Fig F2.1 are identified as:
- (1-0) – Decorative front panel
- (2-0) – Back panel
- (3-0) – Control unit
- (4-0) – accessory pack containing:
- (4-1) – 4 off decorative front panel retention screws
- (4-2) – 4 off back panel spacer washers
- (4-3) – 2 off charger retention tamper-proof screws
- (AS) – 4 off attachment screws (not included)
- Read these instructions carefully and study the device to familiarise yourself with it before you attempt to install, operate or service it.
- The illustrations and explanations contained in this manual refer to a typical version of the device. Your device version may differ slightly from this.
- Repair work to the Andersen A2* is not permitted and may only be completed by Andersen or an Andersen trained expert.
- Only pull the charging cable out of the vehicle plug using the charging socket – never pull on the cable itself.
- Ensure that the charging cable is not mechanically damaged (kinked, jammed, run over, etc.).
- The Andersen A2* is intended for domestic charging of electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles.
- The Andersen A2* product dimensions are: 345 mm side by 125 mm deep by 490 mm high. Add 8 mm to depth for wood decorative front panel. Add 65 mm to height to allow for top chamber door opening.
- The product weight is about 15 kg depending on variant.
- The Andersen A2* has a vehicle charging socket storage chamber.
- The Andersen A2* has magic slot storage for vehicle charging socket.
- The Andersen A2* status LEDs are on the front panel.
- The Andersen A2* has a Plug in control unit to allow easy removal for equipment and building maintenance.
- Nominal supply voltage 230B 50Hz.
- Operating temperature range is -25°C to +50°C.
- Nominal charge current settings are 16, 20 and 32 Amps. When supplied, the current is set to 32 Amps.
- IP64 Rated.
- Integral RCD.
- Evoflek extra flexible charge cable.
- Set for IEC 61851-1 mode 3 charging.
- Courtesy light.
- Nominal cable length
3 Select the installation location
General criteria for selecting an installation site
The Andersen A2* has been designed for indoor and outdoor domestic use.
If possible, install the Andersen A2 so that it is protected from direct rainfall and sunlight to avoid the effects of weather (icing, overheating, damage by hailstones, etc.)
Ensure that you comply with the permitted operating ambient conditions.
Ensure compliance with local installation standards and regulations.
Ensure that the proposed mounting surface is secure and substantially vertical and flat – take account of the weight of the Andersen A2* at 15 kg.
Recommended clearances around the installed Andersen A2
See Fig F3.1 for recommended clearances around the installed Andersen A2.
Ease of winding the charge cable into the A2 magic slots may be reduced if the recommended clearances are reduced. If two Andersen A2* units are placed next to each other, then they can share the horizontal gap between them. The working space around the Andersen A2* can be the mounting surface or open space. The Andersen A2* can be placed close to pipes, trunking and the like providing they do not prevent easy access and winding of the charge cable in to the magic slots.
4 Install the back panel
Screw the back panel to the selected location
- Determine where the cable entry is to be positioned, see Fig F4.1 – there are 6 options in the rear of the back panel, holes (2-B, 2-C, 2-D, 2-E, 2-F, 2-G) and one in the bottom of the back panel, hole (2-A). Move the cable entry bush (2-1-4) to the selected hole.
- Washers (4-2) are to be fitted between the back panel and the mounting surface (M), behind each of the mounting screw hols, these are used to space the back panel from the mounting surface, see Fig F4.2.
- Attach the back panel to the mounting surface using 4 screws (AS), ensuring that the supply cable lines up with the selected entry hole. The maximum screw diameter that can be used is 6 mm. NOTE the weight of the Andersen A2* is about 15 kg depending on the variant.
Wire the back panel to the mains supply
- The RCD assembly (2-1) can be removed for wiring if needed by removing the 4 fixing screws (2-1-6), see Fig F4.1.
- Open the RCD opening door (2-1-2), ensure that the RCD (2-1-5) is switched OFF using its switch (2-S) then remove the RCD front panel (2-1-1) by releasing its 4 retention screws (2-CS), see Fig F4.1 and Fig 4.3.
- Feed the mains supply cable (2-M) through the selected hole on the back panel.
- Feed the mains supply cable through the cable gland entry (2-1-3) and wire to the three terminals (L, N, E) as shown in Fig F4.3. Ensure the clamping screws are tight and the cable gland is tight and sealed.
- Carry out normal wiring safety checks. Note the metal cabinet of the Andersen A2* is NOT earthed.
- Replace the RCD front panel.
- Replace the RCD assembly if it was removed for wiring.
- Open the RCD door (2-1-2) to re-expose the RCD (2-1-5).
- Ensure that the RCD is still switched OFF.
- Ensure that the supply protective cover (2-1-7) is in place, see Fig. 7.1
- Turn on the mains supply.
- Turn the RCD ON using switch (2-S) and ensure that it stays ON see Fig F4.3.
- Push the RCD test button (2-T) and ensure that the RCD turns OFF, see Fig 4.3.
- Repeat the previous 2 steps one more time.
- Leave the RCD turned OFF and the turn OFF the mains supply at the consumer unit.
- Close the RCD opening door.
5 Check the settings on the A2* charger controller
- The Andersen A2* charger controller supplied set to charge at 32 Amps maximum.
- The Andersen A2* current can be changed to 6, 10 ,16, 22 and 32 Amp configuration
- The configuration can only be changed using the Andersen control board by connecting the unit to the cloud
- Once the unit is connected successfully to the cloud, please contact the Andersen installation team on 020 3290 5984 who will change the amperage remotely.
6 Fit the decorative front panel to the control unit
- Lay the decorative front panel (1-0) on a soft horizontal surface, such as card board, with the front side down and the control unit (3-0) on its side as shown in Fig F6.1.
- Ensure that the vehicle charging cable (3-9) is all flat and has no overlaps as shown in Fig F6.1. The charging cable is held in place by the retaining film (3.8) If the charging cable is not correctly positioned, then either correct its position OR remove the entire length of cable and exit the cable from the bottom of the control unit. To unwind the cable, it is necessary to remove some of the protective film from the top of the control unit to enable the top chamber door (3-4) to be opened and allow removal of the vehicle charge socket (3-5). Close the top chamber door after removing the vehicle charge socket.
- Connect the LED socket (3-7) to the LED plug (1-3), see Fig F6.1.2 and F6.1.2, ensuring the correct rotation of the connector and that the two parts are latched together.
- Connect the LED cable (3-10) on the rear side of the control unit, this is the side where the screws (4-1) are shown ton Fig F6.1. Gently pull the LED cable at the same time as lowering the control unit on the front panel. Locate the 4 front panel fixing screws through the control unit and into the decorative front panel, before hand tightening. Check that the LED cable is not trapped between the fron panel and the control unit, the LED cable must not be visible in any of the 4 cable magic slots. Tighten the front panel fixing screws.
- Put the assembly to the side and in a safe place ready for wall mounting.
7 Fit the control unit to the back panel
- Ensure that the mains supply is OFF and that the RCD is OFF.
- Locate the two fixing lugs (3-3) on the control unit and the hanging brackets (2-2) on the back panel, see Fig F7.6.
- Before terminating the unit power cable into the RCB, rest the unit on the middle wall bracket mounts. Let the hanging brackets take the weight of the control unit, see Fig 7.2.
- Pass cable through IP rated gland and terminate the unit power cable in the RCB, see Fig 7.2.
- Lift the unit so it comes free from the middle bracket and let it rest on the top brackets.
- Rotate the control unit until it is almost vertical and lift it up just enough to release the lugs from their locations in the two front slots (2-FS) and then move the control unit back towards the wall to relocate the two lugs in the two rear slots (2-RS). Allow the control unit to hang freely, see Fig F7.6.2.
- Push the bottom of the Andersen A2* unit towards the wall and fit the two anti-tamper retaining screws (4-3) to the bottom of the control unit, see Fig F7.7. Remove any protective film covering the holes in the control unit before tightening the retaining screws.
- Remove all the protective films (2-8) from the outer panels. Remove the horizontal strips of plastic film that hold charging cable in place.
- If the charging cable has not been removed from the magics slots, then open the top chamber door (3-4) and remove the vehicle charging socket item (3-5), see Fig F7.8 and F7.9.
- Unwind all the cable from the magic slots (3-6), see Fig F7.9.
- Rewind the cable into the magic slots (3-6). It can be rewound clockwise or anticlockwise to suit the client. Put the vehicle socket back in the top chamber and close the top chamber door.
- Turn on the mains electric supply at the consumer unit.
- Open the RCD opening door (2-1-2) and turn on the RCD, check that the green (mains) LED is illuminated on the front panel. Close the RCD opening door.
- Open the top chamber door, check that the 4 cable magic slots are illuminated. In bright ambient lighting conditions, it may be necessary to shade the Andersen A2* to see the illuminated parts.
- Carry out a system check, check that the fron panel LEDs illuminate at the correct times.
- Replace the vehicle socket in the top chamber and close the top chamber door, have a cup of tea and sign the job off.
8 Connect the unit to the cloud
Please refer following instructions:
- App set up
- Desktop setup
*(Legacy model – Pre June 2019)